Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Shitty Day in Mexico, Part II

So I'm stuck on the freeway, having missed the last exit before Mexico. I HAVE to drive into Mexico. Right as we were crossing the border, we're "lucky" enough to spot "M," and she hopped the freeway barrier to get in the car. Well at this point, I was committed. I would just have to drive my car in Mexico instead of renting cabs, or walking, or whatever.

But neither Alba, nor "M" know how to get around in Tijuana. And I didn't have a map because I wasn't expecting to be driving there.

So "M" directs me to get off at a certain exit, which she is hoping will take us to where "C" is supposed to meet us. But it's not an exit...it's an exchange to another highway. And there's no exit for miles.

Finally, we spot an exit, and I turn around to head back the way we came.

Then, out of nowhere, materialized this HUGE pothole! On the highway! It's over three feet in diameter and almost a foot deep. I can't believe how big it is. I still...can't...believe there is such a GIGANTIC pothole right on the highway.

I didn't have time to react. I didn't have time to brake. There is a car right behind me. I can't swerve because there is a car right next to me in the other lane. On the other side of the pothole is no shoulder whatsoever. So I have no choice but to run over it.

WHACK WHACK!!!!! WSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I could hear the air rushing out of the tire. But with no shoulder, I couldn't pull over.

Finally, after about a mile, a spot a place to pull over and check the tires. Sure enough, the right rear tire was flat.

Luckily, there happened to be a mechanic close by and he helped us change the tire. And it's lucky, because the car jack in the trunk didn't go high enough to change the tire. AND...I've broken those cheap little tire irons before, when I tried to loosen up lug nuts. (A few years ago, I completely broke the head off the lug-nut wrench that came with my car because the lug nuts were so tight. Had to wait a couple of hours for a tow truck.)

Meanwhile, "M" finds a pay phone and calls "C," who gets a taxi to meet us.

When we got the tire off, you could see that the tire AND the rim were ruined. The rim had a big dent in it. (And the car is now badly out of alignment.)

Unfortunately, the spare is almost worn bald in places, so we had to drive around to three different tire places (which are surprisingly abundant in Tijuana...actually not so surprising anymore) looking for a tire to fit the rim.

Finally, we're ready to go to Ensenada, which is where "M" said the good fried fish was. Supposedly, Ensenada is not far. So I hand the keys to "C" who is to be our local guide.

Let me tell you about "C:" "C" is cool. Humble, personable, friendly, willing to help. But somehow, "M" coaxed him into being our guide that day. But "C" had been up all night at a cock-fight (popular in Mexico). And he was supposed to work that day. But he took the day off to drive us around. No idea how he got talked into that--maybe how Alba and I got "talked into" taking "M" along with us.

Anyway, "C" used to be a taxi driver. A taxi driver in Mexico is ten times more aggressive than those LAX taxi drivers in L.A. I'm usually pretty calm when I'm riding with someone, but there were a few moments where I was getting kind of nervous.

But what the hell.

I didn't say anything...mostly because I was getting carsick.


I hate riding in cars. I have to be driving. When I'm driving, I enjoy it. But when I'm riding, I get carsick and can't enjoy the scenery as much as I'd like to. I certainly don't want to be holding any conversations. So, not only was "C" roped into ferrying us around Mexico, I couldn't even keep him entertained with a good conversation. It was definitely awkward. But "C" was cool.

As it turns out, Ensenada is NOT the 40-45 minutes away it was supposed to be. Try two hours.

Two hours of swerving roads with spectacular ocean views I was trying really hard to enjoy.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Shelley said...

This story is OUT OF CONTROL!!! What is the deal with "M?" Man, The Stan, you sure do have madd patience!

PS - "Madd" is an adjective my students use constantly. Isn't that so lame????

"M" is MADD WACK!!!

FancyPants said...

More, please.