Friday, May 25, 2007

It's Towel Day!!

For those who haven't heard, it's Towel Day. Here's what you do: you get a big towel, fling it over your shoulder. And you just walk around with it all day long just like that.

And if anyone asks you why you've got a big towel flung over your shoulder, just tell 'em it's Towel Day!

Actually, it's an homage to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," one of the greatest sci-fi books ever written. (If you judge "greatest" to mean "most hilarious," that is.) In this universe, a towel is one of the most important and useful things to carry with you when you're hitchhiking it.

On another note (or perhaps the same one), I've really been descending into Geek-dom lately. And I mean seriously.

For the record, though:

1. I've never played a role-playing game in my life.
2. I've never really been into video games.
3. I've never been to a Star Trek convention.
4. I've never dressed up as a Star Trek character.
5. I've never worn a cape, or cloak, or robe, or anything of the sort. (Except once. One year I dressed up as a monk for Halloween.)
6. I've never discussed the intricacies of any fictional universe.
7. And finally, I've never created my own universe.

Until now.

For some reason, I've been really getting off on creating a fantasy universe with the intention of writing a book (eventually a series of books) based on it. Think of Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars, or whatever. It's a collaborative effort with a good friend of mine and we've both been having the time of our lives. It's more fun than I've had in years.

So that can only mean one thing:

I'm really a geek after all. But that probably comes as no surprise to any of you. All you gotta do is see my glasses, which are so strong, I look like I'm perpetually impersonating the monster from the 1958 Classic "The Crawling Eye."

The Stan

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Who is your "partner?" Reveal his mysterious identity, and tell us more about this fantasy world!!!!

The Stan said...

Sorry, my friends, but NO ONE enters this universe until it's ready. You'll be entertained in due time...