Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Love That Chickin'!

I haven't eaten at Popeyes in at least a year! So yesterday, I decided I needed to get my Popeyes fix.

I remember eating at this place as a kid in San Antonio. But then, when my family moved to Springfield, MO (home of the Simpsons) the closest Popeyes was in St. Louis.

But THEN, I moved to blessed L.A., where there are Popeyes located anywhere the demographics support it. Thank God for black people. If it weren't for them, I'd never get my Popeyes.

Now, I hope no one out there construes this comment as in any way racist, because the fact is, I love black people! I'm fascinated, for example, by the fact that every single black person on the face of the planet knows how to dance...and I don't.

But more than that, I LOVE soul food. (Which is really just good 'ole Southern cookin'.) And there's nothing that will get me feeling all warm and fuzzy about a particular ethnic group like the quality of their food.

Take the Japanese, for instance. I love the Japanese! Fresh sushi is one of earth's heavenly delights! Or the Chinese. I know they didn't invent Cashew Chicken, but they were at least the inspiration for it, so I love the Chinese!

Now the Vietnamese, on the other hand, I've never developed particularly fond feelings for...probably because the slightest whiff of anything they cook makes me want to wretch.

Anyway, back to Popeyes. If you've never eaten there, you're missing a real treat. Their buttermilk biscuits with a bit of honey are delicious. The spicy fried chicken is awesome. But the best thing they've ever had is the fried crawfish basket. (Or "crayfish" or "crawdad" or whatever you want to call it. I always called them "crawdads," but it's impossible to say that word without it dripping with "Southern charm.")

Speaking of "crawdads," it's getting about that time to make my twice-yearly pot of gumbo. You can bet I'll be blogging about it, because this is always a special time for me. There is no other dish like gumbo!

The Stan

4 comments:

Shelley said...

First of all, I thought that the Simpsons never really disclosed which Springfield was actually "The Springfield."

Second thing, Popeyes is FOG - Flat Out Gross. They put all this crap in their mashed potatoes and the chicken meat is too dark and slimey for my tastes.

Although, I can see how someone who grew up eating only grapefruit and an occasional bean would crave almost anything.

You know what culture produces THE most disgusting food??? I'll give you one guess...blood pudding.

Think Raven.

The Stan said...

You're right about number 1. But the Simpsons always made jokes about "Ozark Hillbillies" and well...that's Springfield, MO!

Number 2: Are you kidding!! Popeye's is awesome! Maybe you went at a bad time. But then, Southern Californians aren't known for their fried chicken, so you probably never ate it too much.

About the blood pudding, it's also a Cajun dish, if I remember. The Cajuns eat pretty much EVERYTHING!

FancyPants said...

I will say the biscuits are pretty damn tasty.

But I don't frequent the place, mostly because of fear of heart attack or something like that.

Seth Ward said...

Those biscuits are off the charts.

Holy crap.

My favorite line of this post:

"Thank God for black people. If it weren't for them, I'd never get my Popeyes."

Indeed.