Friday, June 1, 2007

Epilogue: A Shitty Day in Mexico

I occurs to me after re-reading my posts about my shitty day in Mexico, that perhaps I was too hard on "M." After all, I could have said no from the very beginning to taking someone else along on my and Alba's day trip.

That was my first mistake, and mine alone. I do remember Alba asking me about it, and I obviously didn't think through all the ramifications of taking along someone else. (Particularly the part about leaving much later than expected and getting up the next day much earlier than expected.)

What really bothered me the most about this trip was not the pothole from hell, not the fact that "M" didn't pay for anything, not the fact that I spent the day with two extra people, one of whom I'd never met and didn't really feel comfortable with when I'd imagined a trip with just me and Alba...it was the fact that of the 16 hours the trip entailed...from 8:30 am Monday morning (from the hotel in San Diego) to 12:30 am Teusday morning (when we got back home), about 13 of those hours were spent in the damn car...and getting sick as a dog.

THAT is what really sucked.

As far as the pothole goes...shit happens. I can deal with it. In fact, I wasn't even terribly bothered with it at the time. Just surprised that there was a gigantic pothole on the highway.

What I do hate is that the whole f**king day (forgive my language, folks) was spent in the car, and not actually doing anything. (Except getting carsick.)

I'm a pretty impulsive person. The fact is, I kind of wanted to go to Ensenada. I wanted to go to La Bufadora. I'd never been to those places and the fact they weren't on our original agenda kind of made it more exciting. But I didn't have all the facts, either.

Ensenada was NOT 40 minutes away, it was two hours. And when I was told that La Bufadora was 30 minutes away, I should have made the logical conclusion that if 40 minutes equals two hours, then 30 minutes (by logical extension) must equal an hour and a half.

But I didn't come to that conclusion. I gave the benefit of the doubt when it had already been spent. So I can't place the blame on any one person. When I trace back all the events, the mistake happened when I reluctantly agreed to let "M" come along. So it was really my own damn fault.

But like I said in my last post...never again.

The Stan

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Don't beat yourself up, The Stan. It still sounds to me like "M" is mostly the culprit. At least your horrible experience made for a great set of blog entries!!!