Sunday, July 20, 2008

Caught Red-Handed

Once when I was a kid, I meandered into the living room where my Dad was sitting in his favorite recliner watching TV.

Something immediately caught my eye. I noticed Dad had white powder sprinkled all over the front of his shirt. I recognized it immediately. And I wanted some.

"Oh! I want some powdered donuts!"

"We don't have any powdered donuts," he replied dismissively. Apparently, he was oblivious to the half kilo of evidence clinging to his chest.

"But you have powdered sugar all over your shirt!" His brows furrowed and he frowned as he looked down at the incriminating dust.

He quickly brushed it off, leaving faint white streaks in the cotton fibers of his T-shirt. "We don't have any powdered donuts," he repeated.

I continued my protest as he tried to go back to watching television. But I wouldn't have it. I wanted some powdered donuts, and the evidence of their existence was right there in front of me.

Finally, he relented. "I ate all of them. There ain't none left."

Disappointed, I went back to my room.

No comments: