Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What Does It Mean To Be Great?

Continuing from my last post:

If you were to ask me that question before last Sunday, I would have likely answered (like many would, I suppose) that being great means to be extraordinary at something.

We talk about "great actors," "great musicians," "great salesmen," "great business leaders," "great writers." I could on and on.

To be great means to be great at something. Or to stress it differently, to be great at some thing.

But I no longer believe this to be the case. And here's why...

Often, in the pursuit of "greatness" at some thing, we wind up living massively unbalanced lives. I've seen it in my life. If I'm interested in a particular topic, I'll spend months, hours every day, reading everything I can get a hold of. On the one hand, this behavior is admirable. But on the other, it leads to an imbalanced life.

I wind up neglecting my body. Not exercising. Not eating healthy. I ignore the chores around the house. I don't balance my checkbook. In fact, I'll often not even want to think about anything else but what I'm studying, or practicing, or whatever. Clearly, that's not greatness.

It must be about more than just being great at some thing.

Consider all the "great" actors, or "great" musicians, or "great" artists that have (or had) massively screwed up lives because of sex, drugs, alcohol, or some other weakness or addiction. A few examples: Robert Downey, Jr.; Chris Farley; Judy Garland; Jimi Hendrix; John Coltrane; Elvis Presley; Charlie Parker...the list goes on and on.

Consider the "great" leaders who harbored a secret life. Bill Clinton; Richard Nixon (much vilified now, but was responsible for opening China to the West); Jim Baker (former televangelist); Ken Lay (of Enron fame)...again, there are many examples.

Clearly to be great at some thing, to be recognized by others for your accomplishments, to be a business, political, or spiritual leader, to be a public figure...those things in themselves do not make one "great" in the absolute sense of the word.

So what, then, does it mean to be great?

The conclusion I came to is that greatness includes someone who has not only mastered a skill or particular subject, but has a positive and lasting influence on those around him because...
  • He has his life in proper balance.
  • Has a healthy sense of himself and his place in the world.
  • Is emotionally intelligent and stable.
  • Maintains his physical health and appearance.
  • Doesn't allow himself to be a slave to weaknesses or addictions.
  • Is ethical in all his dealings.
  • Doesn't neglect his spiritual side.
  • Improves himself in some way on a daily basis.
  • Is financially stable and independent.
  • Is capable of influencing and persuading others without unethical manipulation in order to achieve great things.
How, then, does one manage to succeed in all those areas? How many people are there that actually fit all these criteria? Is it even possible? I can only imagine how effective someone who managed to succeed in all those areas would be!

Imagine, for example, if John Coltrane, rather than being a troubled soul, had been all of those things I just mentioned. Think of what he could have done for the world of jazz! For music as a whole! Think of the lives that could have been positively influenced and inspired! This is a whole new level of greatness. Above and beyond merely being great at some thing.

I want to be all those things. But wanting alone won't get me there. I've wanted to be all those things my whole life, yet at 32, my life is as unbalanced as it ever was!

Clearly, more is needed. The desire to be better, in itself, will get you nowhere. But "forcing" yourself to "try to do better" in those areas, doesn't work, either. I'll talk more about this in the next post...

The Stan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doing things to help other people is an important aspect
of 'greatness' I think.
+Kramer

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I had been wondering what true greatness really is, so I Googled the question and stumbled on this blog.

I am now all but speechless. Your words really ring true, and I think I know now what it means to be great.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post - there is a significant distinction at being 'great' at some thing... and being great and having a lasting impact on others.

Karen said...

I've just finished reading The Great Gatsby for my English class and had to write an essay arguing whether or not Gatsby was great. This blog was VERY helpful in getting ideas flowing through my brain. I just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. :)

:) said...

good job dude!