Saturday, August 18, 2007

Jehovah's Witnesses Come A Callin'

I was lying on the couch this morning, about to have my neck cracked by Alba (which feels awesome, by the way), when I heard a knock on the screen door. I thought it was my next door neighbor, Jenny, but when I turned to look toward the door, there was no one there.

Whoever it was, I was sure they didn't know us, because instead of peaking through the screen door like Jenny would have done, or remaining conspicuously in front of it, they stood off to the side so I couldn't see who was there.

Annoyed, I got up to answer the door and two men were standing there, impeccably dressed and groomed like a couple of young congressional interns.

"Does anyone here speak Spanish?" one of them asked.

Yep...they're promoting some political agenda, I thought.

"Well...Alba does--" and I turn around hoping to pawn them off on Alba so I wouldn't have to be the rude one and shoo them away.

But Alba was quick on the uptake: "I'll be in the shower," she said, and hurried to the bathroom.

Unfazed, the man on the left continued: "Well, we're here with the Jehovah's Witnesses...." and he continued into his spiel about cars and engineers and how engineers are the best people to tell you about the cars, and blah, blah, blah.

Dammit, I should have known. Their blue shirts fooled me. They were in disguise. Not the usual arm-length, button-up white shirts and ties. These were blue. I could see now the black Bibles in their left hands, and a few tracts sticking out of one of the outside pockets.

For a moment, I was worried he would pull one out and start talking about a cartoon drawing with lions laying in fields and people building a house in the background, while others were harvesting a crop. "Doesn't that look idealic?" he would say. And "Wouldn't you like to live like this?"

Then I would be forced to say "Hell, no! That looks like too much work to me! Who wants to spend eternity tilling the fields and building log cabins?" But he didn't pull out a tract. He went on talking about how if God was the engineer of us, then wouldn't he be the best person to tell us everything we need to know about ourselves?

Meanwhile, I'm holding the screen door open, and several flies were taking full advantage of the situation and making a bee line for the kitchen counter and the remains of my breakfast salad, and the only thing I can think of is how the hell can I get rid of these guys without being overly rude?

Why am I so damn polite? They interrupted my day, not the other way around!

Well, I couldn't let this go on long, and by this time, the guy was trying to indoctrinate me about how God told us we would live forever right here on this earth. Don't know how that would happen, but the last thing I wanted to do was have a philosophical argument with an indoctrinated Jehovah's Witness.

So I simply said, "Well, I've read the Bible and I know what it says, and I'm not really interested in anything you have to offer."

They were polite. One was the talker, the other the listener. Maybe he was a trainee, and the talker was showing him the ropes. But they left and proceeded to try and convert Jenny next door.

When Alba got out of the shower, she told me the story of Adriana upstairs, who's from Columbia and bi-lingual. When the Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on her door one time, she tried to fake them out:

"Lo siento, pero no hablo Engles! Yo no hablo Engles!"

Well, the Jehovah's Gringo was prepared: "Oh, okay. Soy de Jehovah's Witness y...."

Man, they're prepared for everything these days. Maybe I'll make up some language next time to fool them:

"Blo hopper be dop dang row. Be bop yo bam. He-n-do-bop." And I'll just keep talking in scat, looking confused, until they give up and walk away!

6 comments:

Seth Ward said...

Listen buddy, all you gotta do is, when they start their presentation, look off into the distance behind them, with wild and wide eyes, rub your crotch and sing "Nesums Dorma."

If that doesn't work, just start sneezing right into their faces as hard as you can, flinging the biggest wads of spit all over them.

Then tell them they might want to go wash because you have some kind of mouth rash virus.

OR. Maybe act retarded and tell them you want to play your trumpet for them. Then go get it and play the worst you've ever played. Slobber all over it and tell them you want them to try.

The Stan said...

Hah! I like the "Nessun Dorma" one. Do I need to give you credit?

Anonymous said...

I have a better idea as a witness myself just say look I'm not interested and i don't want to waste your time .I certainly don't want to waste my time on people that just stand there looking stupid as when I have finished my ministry believe it or not we do have a life and even more shocking I know actually have a laugh and enjoy ourselves .

Anonymous said...

To all u people who get so freaked out because witnesses knock at your door, don't worry because the day will come when they wiil no longer come to your door, l don't c the pope or other so called ministers going out their way 2 show u the truth.If your are not intersted just say so and b polite what the heck is the big deal!

Anonymous said...

No religion is perfect since we r far from perfection but at least JW try their best, 2 live by high moral standards what is wrong with that? Its so easy 2 go 2 a church that allows u 2 do what the hell u want and not suffer the consequenses, just pay your money 2 the preacher on sunday and then go 2 the motel 6 on wed, with your mistess now isn't that lovely.

Anonymous said...

People judge JW's alot. But have you ever tryed to talk to them without judging. Jehovah (psalms 83:18) says in psalms 37:10,11
The wiked one will be no more
But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. What does the word Inherit mean? We all have to die in this system and the wiked one surley does exsist. At 1john 5:19 says The whole word is lying in the power of the wiked one.
the bible says research and you will find,keep on knocking and it will be opened to you. God gives us free will to find him. he made us and all the things around you,Dont you think he could make us? of course he could, but he dont work that way he wants the ones who want to find him!!